Environmental sustainability and human resource management checklist
The following checklist provides a number of actions a human resource or practice manager may pursue to incorporate environmental sustainability values into the way the firm conducts its business.
Step 1 – Vision, mission, values and strategy
- Develop/upgrade the firm’s vision, mission and values framework to incorporate environmental sustainability.
- Involve employees in the development of the environmental sustainability strategy and the mission, vision, values framework of the firm.
Step 2 – Codes of conduct
- Incorporate the principles of environmental sustainability into the employee code of conduct.
Step 3 – Workforce planning and recruitment
- Evaluate the environmental sustainability skills of any current employees and incorporate environmental sustainability into recruitment programmes.
- Incorporate environmental sustainability into employer brand and employee values.
Step 4 – Orientation, training and competency development
- Provide general environmental sustainability training and include elements in employee promotion and pathways.
Step 5 – Compensation and performance management
- Provide an informal rewards system which incorporates environmental sustainability values.
- Integrate environmental sustainability into job descriptions, performance reviews and exit interviews.
Step 6 – Change management and firm culture
- Align environmental sustainability values and principles with any organisational change management programs.
Step 7 – Employee involvement and participation
- Promote events which raise employee awareness of environmental sustainability, including action which they may take at home, work and in the community.
Step 8 – Environmental sustainability policy and programme development
- Incorporate environmental sustainability policies and programmes in HR management, e.g. carbon footprint, employee volunteering.
Step 9 – Employee communications
- Communicate environmental sustainability objectives, plans and progress to employees.
- Promote regular employee communication to raise awareness of environmental sustainability.
Step 10 – Measurement, reporting and celebrating success
Adapted, with permission, from the publication 'Corporate Social Responsibility and Human Resource Management Checklist', copyright©2009 by Strandberg Consulting, Solution for a Sustainable World]
- Include environmental sustainability performance measures into employee engagement services.
- Measure and report on progress toward integration of environmental sustainability objectives.
- Celebrate small wins and any major milestones.